The idea of tithing is very old. All the major Scriptures speak of it in one way or another.
Tithing is a Spiritual concept. The original idea behind it was to acknowledge Source as the source of our supply. The idea is to give a certain percentage (Old English teogoþa = tenth) to Source.
Why, you ask? Great question!
When we make giving to Source a firm part of our life, we not only keep Source in the forefront of our mind, but we also open our inner and outer life to the inflow and outflow of Spirit’s love, life and abundance.
We live in a world of energies and forces. Money is energy. When we begin to give a part of our money in support of a higher purpose, we channel this energy upwards in frequency. The giving, in turn, makes room for the inflow of universal substance into our life.
In other words: When we give a part of our energy in service of a higher purpose, we receive higher energy in return. By continually giving in support of a higher purpose, our needs are guaranteed to be taken care of by the continual inflow of higher substance and energy.
As a consequence, we begin to build up faith and confidence in omnipresent supply and begin to realize that all of life is governed by laws, and that the Divine law of giving and receiving ranks higher than man-made laws.
In a sense, by beginning to place (a part of) our trust in omnipresent supply, we make the shift away from the „limitations of visible supply“ to the „infinity of the invisible supply” of Source which is the blueprint of all visible supply in the world. We are building a bridge in our consciousness between earthly supply and spiritual supply.
Our current financial system is not working and never will. Why? Because it is based on the limitations of visible supply. In our greed, we even force limitation to raise the price. The global financial crisis will eventually force us to look for a higher source of supply – for the true source of our supply. In other words, life will lovingly force us to learn to manifest our supply right out of universal substance. By engaging in tithing and in this way beginning to place (a part of) our trust in universal substance, we can get started the process of trusting in a higher source of supply right this moment rather than wait for the situation to turn really serious.
Tithing has many benefits:
- It brings a sense of order and structure into our consciousness around finances. We remember Source in our finances and make Source our partner in financial matters. When we tithe money, we touch the law of giving and receiving in a very definite and real way. If you want more friends in life, show yourself friendly, however, if you want more money in life, give money. And if all you have to give to get the flow started is one dollar or one euro, that’s certainly a start. Give it away with all the love in your heart and you are sending out a real, tangible vibration that will surely come back to you.
- We begin deliberately to start working with and trusting in universal substance. By continually giving, we continually keep the door open for the universe to come in (rather than placing all of our trust in material supply). In other words: We are actively working on our evolution. We take our financial matters and turn them into a project for Spiritual growth.
- We have a chance to practice sharing and letting go. This saves us from becoming stingy and tight, etc.
Now, as we get into the spirit of giving, it is important to keep the following thoughts in mind:
- It is important to give in the Spirit of abundance, love and gratitude and never for the sake of a reward. When we give with the thought of getting anything in return, we are not giving, we are bargaining. Whatever you give, give it with a free and willing spirit, with no obligations attached.
- What matters is the idea back of the giving, not the size of our giving. Our offering may appear small to us, however, it is the Spirit in which the offering is given that determines its value, not the size or the amount.
- Be consistent in your giving. When we make an occasional large tithe here or there, we are not establishing a rhythm. The idea of tithing is to establish a rhythm of giving and receiving. When we tithe once or twice a year, chances are that our channel ends up getting clogged with material thoughts of fear, lack and limitation. Regular tithing to Spirit naturally keeps such material thoughts at bay. When we tithe to Spirit, we place our thoughts on Spirit.
- Remember, money is energy. When we give money, we give energy. When we give the energy of money it is important to give to people who struggle to move forward in life and who make an effort to help themselves (and not to people who are not interested in moving forward in life). The idea is to support causes that further the evolution, empowerment and higher life of mankind. This is what is meant with giving to Source. To give to Source is to give to those channels, to those people in which the Spirit of evolution strives to emerge and express itself.
- Be open to receive. To give is to receive. When we give out a force, it sooner or later comes back to us (like a boomerang). It cannot escape the law. Therefore, a return is guaranteed – however ONLY when the giving is free and comes from the heart. Prepare to receive a response. By being on the lookout for good to come into our life and expecting it, we have no time to doubt and fear. Our positive expectation magnetically attracts the good to come into our life (while our doubts and fears repel it).
Tithing is a scientific way of giving. It is a sure way to create and maintain abundance in life. Why? Because:
- We are working with a universal law: „Give and you shall receive.“
- Universal, timeless, perfect laws rank higher than man-made, time-space-limited, imperfect laws.
ACTION STEP: Think about the deeper Spiritual idea of tithing and consider making it a part of your life. To help you develop a greater awareness of the „cause-effect/give-receive“ relationship, take notes about your experiences as you start working with the law of giving and receiving.